Royal temple of Devanagala

Devanagala Raja Maha Viharaya is an ancient temple in the Mawanella of the Kegalle District about 5km from Mawanella town towards Hemmathagama. The Temple is believed to be built during the era of King Parakramabahu the Great in 1153 to 1186.

But some belief that the temple was first built by king Walagambahu in 89-77 BC. This temple has housed the Dalada or the tooth relic of the Lord Buddha once in the past and the ruins of the temple of the tooth building still can be seen.

There are 2 stone encryptions and an encryption of lord buddhas Siripathula. One of the inscription has been made by King Parakramabahu who  describes the donation of lands to the surrounding area to a commander of his army who led invation to Burma named Kith Nuwara Gal.

The second rock inscription describes the donations done by King Wimaladharmasuriya in 1592 to 1604 who founder of Kandyan kingdom to Ven Devanagala Rathanasara Thero who helped him in his attempt to take the throne of Kandy after renovation of the temple.

Share |

001 003 005
002004006

001

FAQ | Site Links| Comments